What should I do if I have complications after a Colonoscopy?

I had a Colonoscopy about a week ago. Almost immediately after the Colonoscopy, I developed anal/rectal irritation and pain and what appears to be a cyst on the right side of my anal area that is about the size of the tip of my small finger. It is hard to touch and reaches up into my perineum. I have tried sitz baths and over the counter creams which have not helped. What could this be?

Healthcare Providers (3)

It could be a hemorrhoid. Might need to see the doctor who performed the procedure to check it out and putty another medication.

I would suggest you reach out to the doctor that did the Colonoscopy to do an examination. It could be a hemorrhoid.

Although very rare, if you have pain or severe discomfort after Colonoscopy, please call the doctor who did your procedure immediately. If you cannot reach the doctor promptly, go to the emergency room.

No Physician-Patient Relationship
You understand and agree that use of the Website does not in any way create or establish a physician-patient privilege or physician-patient relationship between you and any Medical Professional Member. You should recognize that the information provided on the Website (including past questions and answers and articles posted on the site) is provided for your general information. These materials should not be relied on as medical advice and reading and reviewing them is not a substitute for direct consultation with a medical professional about a specific medical problem.

Without limiting the foregoing, you understand and agree that submitting a Free Question or receiving an answer to a Free Question does not in any way create or establish an physician-patient relationship between you and any Medical Professional Member, or between you and us. The information and answers provided in response to Free Questions is intended to be generic medical information, not medical advice, and is based upon the very limited information provided by you in a Free Question. Specific medical advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your situation. If you are currently being treated by a doctor, that doctor is the best person to give you advice about a medical case or medical matter. Under no circumstances should the information obtained on this site be used to make decisions about the quality of service provided by a doctor or about the proper course of a medical matter.