Detailed Review of Everlywell FIT®
This health and wellness company sells several at-home lab testing kits to the public including the fecal immunochemical test (FIT) for colon cancer. Everlywell test kits are generally affordable and contain discrete packaging for the customer to collect and send the samples. Everlywell complies with the federal HIPAA laws that protect the privacy of their customers’ health information and never sell data to third-party companies.
Customers who purchase Everlywell’s test kits collect their samples at home and return the samples to a partner laboratory that is CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) certified. The FDA, CDC, and Center for Medicaid Services certifies a lab with a CLIA rating if the lab follows a high level of testing standards, including accuracy and precision. Being CLIA-certified assures the customer that the lab where their sample is analyzed follows high standards and is subjected to regular inspections.
The FDA, CDC, and Center for Medicaid Services certifies a lab with a CLIA rating if the lab follows a high level of testing standards, including accuracy and precision. Being CLIA-certified assures the customer that the lab where their sample is analyzed follows high standards and is subjected to regular inspections.
Once the lab tests the samples for the presence of hidden blood, the results are sent digitally to the customer. The results usually arrive within five days from the day the sample was received by the partner lab. The company offers their customers the opportunity to consult with a physician via video or phone if they receive a positive test.
How to Administer
- Take the instructions, brush kit, and test card into bathroom.
- Flush the toilet before your bowel movement.
- Go to the bathroom and do not place toilet paper in the toilet.
- Brush the surface of the stool with one of the provided blue brushes.
- Shake any extra debris off the brush.
- Gently dab the brush card with the sample on the one labeled “1”.
- Repeat steps according to instructions.
- Fill out the sticker ID and use to seal the test card.
- Place sample back into the box and place it into the return envelope. Send the package back using the shipping label that was provided using the shipping carrier listed on your return label.
One kit: $49
The Good and the Not So Good
- No dietary or medication restrictions before taking the test
- Accessible dashboard that provides resources that link to information about colon cancer, general wellness tips, and the test itself
- Results can be downloaded immediately and shared with your healthcare provider
- If you receive a positive result you have the option of working with a physician from they Everlywell network
Not So Good
- The instructions may be difficult to follow
- Must handle stool to get the sample
- Must mail stool sample into the laboratory
- May be pricier than other options
The Everlywell FIT colon cancer screening test kit contains the following:
- Instruction guide
- Fecal test card
- Brush kit
- Waste bag
- Prepaid return shipping label
Ancrum, S. (2020, August 10). Everylywell review: Pros, cons, and how it works. Retrieved from Farr Institute: https://www.farrinstitute.org/everlywell-review/
Cooper, L. (2016, December 01). At-home colon cancer tests: What you need to know. Retrieved from Consumer Reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/colonoscopy/at-home-colon-cancer-tests/
Everlywell Writing Staff. (2021). How to collect a FIT colon cancer screening test sample. Retrieved from Everlywell Support: https://support.everlywell.com/article/634-how-to-collect-a-fit-colon-cancer-screening-test-sample