What should I do if I am interested in a colonoscopy?

This question was asked in Echo Park, California on 01/30/2012.
I am a 51 year old male and need to get a colonoscopy. What should I do?

Doctors Answers (2)

David Myles Nolan
Answered on: 1/31/2012

The best first step is to ask your insurance company what there referral process is; most of the time it’s as simple as asking your primary care doctor for a referral. Or if you have a PPO, just setting up an appointment with a gastroenterologist to schedule your procedure.

Harsha Vittal, M.D.
Answered on: 1/30/2012

If you have a primary care doctor, you should get a referral to a gastroenterologist. Otherwise, you should check online for a gastroenterologist in you area and schedule an appointment.